How well do you know your neighbors? I know mine a bit and yet not at all. We share a wall with one set of neighbors, we say hi, our kids play together and that's about the extent of it. These are the neighbors we're closes to but we do nothing together. The neighbors on the other side, well our kids play together, we say hi and that's about it. We actually know very little about them. There is a neighbor who lives behind us. I've seen her a few times, she borrowed tools and my husband helped her with a heavy piece of furniture. We don't even know her name.
They are the neighbors we know. We live in a very small town. There are people all around us and yet you never see anyone talking. The kids play together sure but not in each other houses, not really even in each others yard, just kind of across the yard.
I just realized how sad this is. No one really knows anyone anymore. There are no friendships. No borrowing a cup of sugar or an egg. The kids are missing out on some experiences and why? Is it that we don't want to be involved with our neighbors? Is it that we don't want our kids involved with those kids? Is it just because we all have such busy lives and it is just impossible.
I admit, in the winter, I pretty much hibernate. I hate the cold so I do not go outside unless I have to. However, once it gets warmer, I'll be out there cleaning, planting (Well I hope to be anyone, that's a discussion for another blog post), playing with the kids, watching them why I'm reading a book and soaking up the sun, talking with my husband why he grills, playing with the dog and letting her run around. Still no one comes and talks to us really. Maybe we look busy?
I think this summer, I'll make it a point to stop and talk to at least 1 neighbor and be friendly with them. After all there is nothing that says I can't say hi first.
No comments:
Post a Comment